Job Title: Director of Strategic Communications
The Director of Strategic Communications reports directly to the president and works with the senior leadership team and the Commission to increase the awareness of WICHE among all stakeholder groups. The Director is responsible for helping the president and the Commission develop a strategic direction for WICHE in all aspects of communication, advocacy, marketing, and branding; including the use of social media. The Director will also assist the president and senior staff in speech writing, presentation development, and outreach efforts, including conducting press conferences and media releases, and will develop constructive relationships with local and national media, especially education reporters and education related publications. The Director will be assisted by and will supervise two communications professionals, a graphic designer and a web manager, and will provide strategic direction to other communications staff within the organization.
- · Bachelor’s degree in marketing, mass communications, or related field.
- · Ten plus years of experience in a communications role.
- · Experience in creating marketing strategies and campaigns by utilizing highly collaborative skills and experience with developing and implementing communications strategies.
- · Strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently.
- · Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both strategic and tactical levels.
- · Experience working collaboratively with multiple constituent groups.
- · Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective, cooperative, and cordial working relationships internally and externally.
- · Ability to produce quality work under frequent deadline pressure.
- · Ability to write for a range of media and a variety of audiences including students, college and university administrators, state education policymakers and their staff, higher education boards and administrators, and state, regional, and national education and legislative organizations.