EDTECH News

January Deadlines

Picture of Dixie Conner
January Deadlines
by Dixie Conner - Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 2:23 PM

Important Upcoming Deadlines in January 2018

Jan. 5 - Last day to add Portfolio credit for Spring 2018.

Jan. 8th - Spring 2018 classes begin.

Jan.12th - Last day to Apply for Graduation for graduate and undergraduate degrees and certificates to be awarded in May 2018. Late applications will be accepted but a late fee will be assessed. Students apply for graduation on myBoiseState.

Jan. 22nd - Spring financial aid census date. Eligibility for financial aid determined by the number of credits for which enrolled on this date.

Jan. 22nd - Last day to add graduate dissertation, thesis, or project credit

Picture of JD Duke
Re: January Deadlines
by JD Duke - Tuesday, January 9, 2018, 12:49 PM

Why is there a deadline for Jan. 5th when classes didn't begin until Jan. 8th? Will I receive "credit" for completing my online profile?

My best,

Gage

Picture of Tricey Godfrey
by Tricey Godfrey - Tuesday, January 9, 2018, 8:11 PM

I am a new graduate student in the EDTECH program.  What is the "portfolio credit"?  I didn't notice it until there was a question posted in the forum.  

Thank you!

Tricey Godfrey

Picture of Chris Pontillo
by Chris Pontillo - Tuesday, January 9, 2018, 8:56 PM

Hello Tricey,

If you are pursuing the MET degree, the portfolio is the culminating class you take before you graduate. For portfolio, you assemble ALL of your assignments (artifacts) from every class. Your work will be used to demonstrate your mastery of each of the AECT Standards. You'll also reflect on what you've learned during the program. 

Portfolio is a lot of work! From day one, start a good digital filing system for ALL your assignments and syllabi. Also, be sure you get to know the AECT standards well. Your organization now, will pay off at the end! 

I think you'll enjoy the program, I did! Good luck in your studies!

Picture of Tricey Godfrey
by Tricey Godfrey - Friday, January 12, 2018, 9:16 AM

Chris,

Thank you very much for the reply and the detail!  I am actually in the Ed.S. program but would like to ensure I understand all facets of the EDTECH program here at BSU.

Have a great day,

Tricey

Picture of Dixie Conner
by Dixie Conner - Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 5:51 PM

Hi Tricey,

Here is the info. about the Ed.S. program: https://edtech.boisestate.edu/eds-edtech/

And the M.E.T. program: https://edtech.boisestate.edu/programs/masters-edtech/

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Jerry Foster at jfoster@boisestate.edu about Ed.S. and me at dixieconner@boisestate.edu about the M.E.T. program smile

Happy Studying!

Paul
by Paul Castelin - Thursday, January 11, 2018, 4:56 PM

Hi J.D.

Unlike other courses, Portfolio requires that a permission number be acquired and used for enrollment in the course. Staff often get slammed by students waiting until the very last minute to apply, leaving staff to deal with the task of issuing the permission number, sometimes with no turn-around time. Then the recriminations begin. To avoid that, we try to build in a reasonable cushion of time.

All students should be aware that the Moodle News feed that you receive in your Boise State email is a primary communication channel, not only for news, but upcoming deadlines, milestones that need action and the like. Developing the habit of scanning the news each evening can pay dividends for those who wish to stay on top of things.

Picture of JD Duke
by JD Duke - Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 1:46 PM

Hi,

I'm a music education major taking this class in order to fill my requirements. Does the portfolio apply to me?

Reid McLain's Picture
by Reid McLain - Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 3:44 PM

Hi JD Duke, 

This particular news feed in EdTech Moodle is not for a specific class, rather a bulletin for all of the EdTEch program. So you will see information for those who are EdTEch Majors. It is separate from the specific course you are taking. 

The news feed for your class is located in the left hand navigation under "my courses" 

I hope that helps. 

Cheers!

Reid 

Picture of Dixie Conner
by Dixie Conner - Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 5:49 PM

No, if you are in another program and taking a few of our classes for credit, portfolio will not be necessary.  I'm sure your program has a capstone class as well, but please check with them for that.

Thanks.

Picture of Dixie Conner
by Dixie Conner - Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 5:47 PM

Hi, yes portfolio is a  3 sem. credit class and is the capstone activity.