University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus
Office of Information Technology
Position Number: 737973 – Requisition Number 12217
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Office of Information Technology has an opening for a full-time University Staff unclassified Instructional Designer position.
The Office of Information Technology works to advance the University mission by providing innovative technology solutions and services to the CU Denver | Anschutz Medical Campuses, their constituents and partners.
Through our six core values, Service, Professionalism, Leadership, Innovation, Community, and Excellence (SPLICE), we make a difference.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for an Instructional Designer. This is a full-time/University Staff (non-classified) position. This position strategically partners with schools, colleges, and faculty leaders, providing expertise in instructional design for
online and blended academic courses and programs as part of a collaborative team of
academic learning and technology professionals.
CU Online is an innovative team dedicated to enhancing teaching and learning at the
University of Colorado Denver and Anschutz Medical Campus. As a department of the
Office of Information Technology, CU Online provides critical academic technologies
and services to the university.
Examples of Work Performed:
As an expert in instructional design in higher education, the Instructional Designer provides guidance to schools, colleges, and faculty in the design of academic online and blended courses.
• Build and maintain relationships within the academic community and identify
learning design and evaluation projects that advance the teaching mission.
• Participate in development of new services and testing of new academic and
• Consult with faculty on effective online pedagogies while inspiring confidence
and enthusiasm for instructional design.
• Work in collaboration with university faculty to align content to learning
outcomes, create instructionally sound and engaging learning opportunities, and
develop quality assessment tools.
• Provide instructional design consultation to individuals, departments, or schools
through course and program designs, redesigns, and evaluation.
• Support the online faculty development curriculum.
• Serve as a liaison between CU Online and key campus faculty and leaders on
current and future instructional trends and needs.
• Facilitate professional development trainings and workshops, both face-to-face
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in education, educational technology, instructional design, academic technology, or related field of study AND 2-3 years of experience working in learning design, preferably in a Higher Education setting.
Conditions of Employment:
Must be willing and able to travel between campuses (Denver Campus and Anschutz Medical Campus)
- Master’s degree in instructional design or a related field.
- Experience teaching or designing academic online courses.
- Experience collaborating with university faculty in instructional design projects and initiatives
- Experience using/supporting a wide variety of academic technologies at the course and program level.
- Experience with project planning and creative problem solving.
- Experience using an academic Learning Management System (LMS), such as Canvas, in a designer role.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to independently manage large scale projects. Exhibit and communicate knowledge and application of eﬀective pedagogy and use of academic technologies.
- Ability to act as a consultant to faculty and leadership on the process of instructional design in teaching, research, and creative works.
- Collegial team member with strong interpersonal skills and a service-orientated work attitude.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to present training seminars and workshops.
- Ability to work independently and unsupervised.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position has been established at $50,000 to $60,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver—one of America’s most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
Located in the heart of downtown, CU Denver provides a vibrant, urban research university experience, with academic programs ranging from the liberal arts and sciences to global energy management, music industry studies and criminal justice among eight schools and colleges. The classroom extends into the city as students study, network and build careers in the surrounding business district. CU Denver unites quality academics, ambitious research and creative work, civic consciousness and driven students—all in the lively setting of downtown Denver. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver is a public research university serving more than 14,000 students. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 100 highly rated degree programs through eight schools and colleges. In the heart of downtown Denver—one of America’s most vibrant urban centers—CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.