EDTECH News

How to Set Permissions in Google Drive Folder to Allow Anyone with the link to view

Barbara Schroeder
How to Set Permissions in Google Drive Folder to Allow Anyone with the link to view
by Dr. Barbara Schroeder - Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 12:36 PM

This always seems to be a source of confusion, so I created a simple step-by-step tutorial that shows you how to create a Google Drive EDTECH M.E.T. folder where anyone can view the files and folders within that folder. There's just ONE IMPORTANT STEP you must take to make sure that you are sharing your folder with anyone with the link--otherwise, you are just sharing it with other students at Boise State.

Here's the link to the Google Docs file: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yjuXC8omKW0CnoA-A0BdH1XsJBH-yK8A8ZdhV7TgO3o/edit?usp=sharing

And remember, if you place all of your course artifacts in this folder, then when you get to portfolio time in the program, you won't have to be changing permissions on multiple files--the permissions will automatically be inherited by the folders and files you place in your shared EDTECH M.E.T. folder.

I highly recommend you use Google Drive as your storage space. It's convenient, accessible through any computer, and is secure. I would also recommend you create course folders with the course name and then place those folders in your shared EDTECH M.E.T. folder. But if you just create a shared EDTECH M.E.T. folder and place all coursework in that folder, you will be more than ready for accessing your work when you are in the final portfolio course.