Hi folks, we hope you'll consider joining us in August for our fully online teacher camp in 3D GameLab, Learning On Another Level! In the camp, we use quest-based learning and game mechanics (such as badges, rewards, experience points and levels) to "play" our way through six strands of professional development, all fully facilitated by our guild officers:
- Minecraft in Schools: Lucas Gillispie, founder of Minecraft in Schools
- 21st Century Tech Integration: Mark Suter, Computer Technology Teacher at Pandora-Gilboa Local Schools
- Mobile Learning In and Out of the Classroom: Liz Kolb, author of From Toys to Tool: Cellphones in the Classroom
- Making Machinima (animated video) : Kae Novak, founder of Virtual Worlds Best Practice in Education
- Make Your Own App: Yu-Chang Hsu, professor at Boise State University, invited presenter at MIT App Inventor Summit
- Digital Games in the Classroom: Chris Haskell, co-founder of 3D GameLab
- The Academy - Educational Quest Design Bootcamp, Lisa Dawley co-founder of 3D GameLab
Work at your own time and pace, choose any or all quest strands, attend optional live synchronous events in environments such as Minecraft, tavern meetings in World of Warcraft, live video conferencing, Skype and more!
What happens after camp?
- A Teacher Dashboard gives you ability to invite 60 students into your own group of quests and create a game-based classroom over the coming year
- Ongoing access for a full year to continue to play hundreds of quests in the camp, and share/clone/remix thousands of quests in the Quest Armory
- Ongoing access to any additional teacher camps throughout the year at no additional cost
Camp & Platform Fee
We are able to offer a reduced tuition rate of $235 for current EdTech students at Boise State. Professional development credit available (no graduate credit, sorry!). Use this special link to register.
Comments from Past Campers
The future of education is now.
I can't stop questing, I'm addicted!
I don't want to go back, ever...I love, love, love what I am seeing in class after the first week of questing...Thanks, 3DGL. You've taken what looked to be a difficult quarter and turned into the best first week I've ever experienced. This is not an exaggeration.
So many possibilities...I know I need to take it one step at a time and narrow my focus, but I am excited, intrigued, a little overwhelmed. It's pretty awesome.
But now I’m hooked. I have completely, hook, line and sinker, bought into the idea that the future of education is not going to look like the traditional classroom for much longer.
The gaming camp can't be over...my brain is hungry for the whole experience...So can we sign up to attend another class? Can we, can we, PLEASE?
For more info, see http://3dgamelab.org
I'm just finishing my first year in the Ed Tech program. Is this an annual camp? I'm very interested but will not be able to attend this August.
Hi Stephen, so far we've done this camp in summer and spring. Our schedule may change during the coming year, but we do hope to offer it again.
Thank you. Have a great time this August.
I would love to take part in this camp, but I am only going to be finished with my first two classes - will I be able to understand what is going on and be able to keep up?
Hey Michele, we take a lot of pride in offering a very personalized learning experience that is proving to be engaging to a range of ability levels. 3D GameLab itself is very easy to use as a player, and if you decide to bring in your own students later, we also provide a "quest designer bootcamp" to train you how to design and facilitate quest and game-based learning.
If you understand how to use tools like Moodle and Facebook, for example, you should be fine
Thanks for the information. I will be registering soon! It looks/sounds like fun.
Do past game-labers get to come back and play too? :D
Yes! We sent out an announcement through 3D GameLab a couple of weeks ago, so if you didn't receive it, you may want to check your spam folder or make sure your 3D GameLab email account is tied to your current email address, Jenni.
All current beta players can participate in the August camp at no additional cost. Cool huh? We'll send out follow-up notices when camp begins giving you the name of the quest group to join.
Lisa, I talked with Matt McCarter, director of students come first with the Idaho SDE. I asked if he could get the info out, and I sent him the guild link. He seemed interested, but I am not sure if he will do anything. The focus of Edustat was the flipped classroom and the 1-1 laptop program.
I just signed up for this camp (starts tomorrow) and I had to pay $295. I am a student, I thought it was $235?