Moodle Support

Subscribe to Forums?

Picture of Doug Wolfe
Subscribe to Forums?
by Doug Wolfe - Friday, August 31, 2012, 10:59 AM

I really like the daily email digest of forum postings. I find it much faster to read through the postings as opposed to constantly clicking links in and out of various discussion threads. When I find something to comment on, I can click the "see in context" link to go to the discussion thread and add my comments.

However, I haven't found any way to subscribe to a forum until I post to it. If half the class has already posted before I submit my first post, then I will never see those posts in the digest. Is there a way to subscribe to a forum before I've posted in it?

Edtech_Moodle_support
Re: Subscribe to Forums?
by Bb Open LMS/ Moodle Support - Monday, September 3, 2012, 9:56 AM

Hi Doug,

Would you include a capture of your screen, are you using a Mac or Pc.

Thank You.

Picture of Doug Wolfe
by Doug Wolfe - Monday, September 3, 2012, 12:35 PM

I'm on a PC, though I also use an iPad to access Moodle.

I'm not sure what you're looking for in a screen capture--it's hard to capture a feature you can't find! However, maybe these will clarify.

Screenshot1.png shows what I see when I reply to a post (or create a new discussion). The red box I added shows where you can choose to subscribe to replies to the forum. ("Send me email copies of posts to this forum.")

Screenshot2.png shows a discussion forum that has just been started. I'm not ready to create any posts yet. There is nothing in the interface that I see that would let me subscribe to the forum. However, I would like to subscribe to it so that I can email copies of posts as my classmates add them. Is there any way to do this? (And if not, is there anyone I can lobby to add it as a feature?)

Thanks,

Doug

Edtech_Moodle_support
by Bb Open LMS/ Moodle Support - Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 12:48 PM

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the captures.

Subscribing to a forum depends on different settings with-in Moodle. http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Forum_settings#Subscription_mode

One option is shown at the moment when replying to the forum, as you captured in this reply, it allows you to send Email copies of the selected forum.

Another option can be selected from your Moodle user profile, as you are able to select Auto-subscribe and forum tracking.

Another option depends on your Instructor settings for the particular “forum”. Therefore, if the instructor has set the forum to “Forced subscription” you are going to be receiving everyone’s posts and comments.

I would suggest contacting each instructor and request permissions to handle your own subscriptions.

Hope this helps!