Moodle Support

moodle says I'm getting an F

Picture of Rick Krause
moodle says I'm getting an F
by Rick Krause - Sunday, September 30, 2012, 7:01 PM

I am recieving email from moodle support that say I am getting an F in my classes.  When I contacted my instructors they said that was not true and my grades are up to date and NOT an F.  What could be going on?

Picture of Brian Wetzel
Re: moodle says I'm getting an F
by Brian Wetzel - Sunday, September 30, 2012, 8:12 PM

It might be possible that the instructor as the grade reports set up so that assignments not turned in still count toward your grade.  Even if they have not been assigned yet.

I remember seeing 50% (or lower surprise!!!!) on my grade reports for more than a few classes during my program.  However, half the work hadn't even been assigned, graded, etc.  I never received a email about the "low grade", but that might be an enhancement to Moodle to "ensure students get back on track".

If your professors say it you're fine, I am sure you are.  As assignments get graded, it will balance out in the end.

I hope this helps!

Picture of Katie Sisson
by Katie Sisson - Sunday, December 2, 2012, 9:23 AM

Hi Rick- I have also been experiencing the same thing with my grades in Moodle for the class that I am in this semester.  I think Brian is exactly correct.  I have been adding up how many points I have received for each assignment and divided it by how many points possible of the assignments that have been completed for the semester, that should give an accurate grade.  I am sure you have figured it out by now, but it is definitely a bit shocking when you get an email that says you are receiving an "F" in your class!

Edtech_Moodle_support
by Bb Open LMS/ Moodle Support - Monday, December 3, 2012, 12:01 PM

Yes, you're both correct, this issue relates to how the instructors sets up their Moodle’s Gradebook courses.

It has been communicated in previous forum threads that Gradebook settings must be set to include "Aggregate only non-empty grades" which in turns does not lower the percentage against Total course points.

Thank you for bringing up this Issue.

Barbara Schroeder
by Dr. Barbara Schroeder - Monday, May 6, 2013, 8:42 AM

I realize this is a very old response to an old post, but if this happens to anyone--contact your instructor immediately and have him/her fix this issue in the gradebook. This should not be happening.